Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Partner- Along for the Ride......








Not to leave anyone out, I have to introduce my partner in crime- along for the ride. I have known Doug for over 20 years, even though we have only been married for 8. It all started when I ditched class to come home for lunch with his brother Scott (who is still one of the coolest people I know). We were in the kitchen and Doug came around the corner and Aaaaaaah........(background chorus) He was soooo cute. Even though he was a year younger and two years below me in school, I couldn't resist. We went to Sadie's and out a few times, then I was off to college.

(you can't see it, but he's sporting a gold chain in this photo- what a pimp! I still harass him to this day- but back then, I appreciated the effort on my behalf....)


Fast forward 10 years or so with two missions, a marriage, engagement, a child and several moves later and we both found ourselves back in Arizona. With two scheming mothers, we didn't have a chance. I truly believe that we have choices in our life, but that there is always a divine hand involved to "nudge" us when we are completely out in left field somewhere.


In getting to re-know Doug, one of the things I liked best about him was his sense of humor. It has become a saving grace in our marriage. After particularly rough times, when everything is in pieces at our feet, he can still say something absurd and crack me up. Of late, he can throw me into an asthmatic fit, because I am laughing so hard. He has a collection of accents that he can invoke at anytime. Because of this, Afton has perfected her British Cockney at the ripe old age of 5.








Doug has a heart of gold. He is always first to help someone in need and is constantly bringing home some cool new trinket for our girls. He finds little ways to show me he loves me -glasses of water at night, bringing home my favorite magazine or letting me watch my "geriatric" shows (as he calls them) instead of a game that he is interested in.




Even though he is hardwired for structure and order, he is open to new adventures and has been VERY flexible with this girl who flys by the seat of her pants. He is a great father and his children's favorite playmate. Despite his aversion to the limelight, he is well known and loved by all of his co-workers and all people who are lucky to get the chance to weasel inside his circle of influence.







Doug has the heart of a poet and the soul of Martha Stewart- ok - maybe not Martha Stewart- but he has a great sense of design and organization. He could spend hours in The Container Store or Organized Living. He is by far a better decorator and housekeeper than I am. He forces me to work on projects that I grumble through ( like cleaning out my junk from the garage), but that I am sooo glad we did after it is done and he is right beside me all the way. In fact, that is one of the things I love the most about him- he stands beside me, in good or bad- usually cracking some joke- and together we experience life.
In retrospect, I would like to thank him for accepting that invitation from the older woman and for choosing to attend that dance and every other dance that we've made through life- and for making it one fun ride. I LOVE YOU

No comments: